Happy Xmas everyone – stay safe.
A brief specification list and some additional information (sorry for any waffle!).
Base Car/ History:
- 1973 RHD 2002 Tii
- Reg: PSG 801M
- UK car first registered and delivered to Germany (RAF Wildenrath) March 1973
- Suspect it came to the UK 1974 thus the reg.
- VIN: 2751536
History contains no original manuals/ booklets and not many MOT certificates. There are a lot of receipts and a considerable amount has been spent even before I bought it. There’s a photo album documenting the body restoration detailed below.
It would appear the car has been restored twice in its life, first time in Atlantik and secondly in Polaris as detailed below. I say this as there’s a magazine cut out in the history, this details a short 2002 buyers guide and references my car (with a picture too) as a good one to buy that’s for sale as its been restored etc. Very strange to see the reg on a blue flat arch 2002!
I acquired the car in March 2017 from a guy called James Child, he has/ had various 2002’s/NK’s etc. James of JFI mediated the sale as the car was in at his place for some engine work at the time James.C offered the car to me. Both were great to deal with and I enjoyed a look around JFI’s premises!
On viewing the body was as good as I could have ever hoped for, James at JFI stated that to get a 2002 to the condition of mine (bodywork/ paint only) he’d charge approx. 12k and this was back in 2017! He said I should snap the sellers hand off and I did.
The original plan was to build a standard-ish engine and fit it in and run it on carbs then develop as I went along but as I dug deeper into the car once it was home the project grew arms and legs, as they do. A lot of the mechanical works weren’t up to standard and I came into a bit of money at the right time, im not a man of great means so this really is a labour of love and the childhood dream come true.
From the history it would appear that in around 2007 the car had the following:
- New floor pans
- New front end, snorkel deleted from panel as original Tii
- New back end
- New wings
- New rear quarters
- Zero rust present
- Chassis rail strengthening added in the engine bay
- Turbo arches and airdam c/w fibreglass short rear bumper
- Belt line trim deleted, all other trim ‘okay’ condition.
- Taken back to bare metal and painted Polaris Silver, no trace of the original Atlantik Blue, this goes to every corner of the car inside and out.
- Base engine is a Tii engine with e12 head, 2017/18 it’s had the following:
- Stripped and chemically cleaned. All aluminium parts have been soda blasted, block painted in original black enamel.
- Block has been bored and honed to first oversize c/w high compression Mahle piano top pistons.
- Pistons modified for valve reliefs and balanced, con rods balanced, all to within 0.2 of a gram.
- Crank has been polished and balanced.
- E12 cylinder head has been modified, shortened bullet tipped later spec valve guides c/w updated stem seals, 3 angle valve seats. Ported and shaped combustion chambers, All cc’d and balanced.
- Head skimmed down to 128mm and built up with standard size reconditioned valves, schrick springs, crower retainers, a Catcams camshaft, steel rockers and new oem shafts and an adjustable vernier pulley. Engine was built up with all new seals, gaskets etc and a 45 thou Cometic head gasket. End compression ratio 10.5:1.
- E21 Single row timing gears
- Windage tray and baffled sump
- 02again stainless/ aluminium crank pulley c/w trigger wheel
- Jaymic race manifold 4-1 collector with 2.25 outlet
- Martelius 2.25” stainless exhaust with right hand exit. Custom link pipe made to join the manifold to this
- TTV Racing billet steel flywheel with integral ring gear and ARP bolts
- Helix Autosport competition clutch and release bearing
- New high capacity radiator and fan
- MK Rennsport Billet engine mounts
- Jenvey Dynamics Individual Throttle Bodies c/w port matched manifold, Jenvey fuel pressure regulator, injectors, complement of sensors/ engine wiring
- Reverie carbon airbox with 100mm ducting to front panel
Engine machining work/ modification carried out by AMAC Engineering, competition engine builders. These guys modify and build engines for some of the big boys that come to mind when you think of BMW competition engines. They also look after an original Eggenberger Group A BMW 635csi and did an engine for a local 2002 rally car that produces around 250hp at 2.0. I help out here when I can, a Saturday job I got some 16/17 years ago I’ve still got!
Engine built by myself and mapped by Wayne Schofield of Chipwizards. It made 180hp and 164ftlbs torque.
- Rebuilt Getrag dogleg close ratio 235/5 gearbox, reconditioned to include 4 reconditioned gears, all new baulk rings, engagement sleeves, seals and gaskets etc. Carried out by Retro Engineering Ltd early 2020.
- AKG Motorsport e30 DTM shifter
- E21 LSD with ribbed 2002 diff cover and 3.64 final drive. Reconditioned 2017/18
- Driveshafts reconditioned 2017/18
- Prop shaft bearing replaced and balance checked
Suspension, Wheels and Braking:
- Subframes, Tii trailing arms etc all powdercoated and rebushed with polybushes
- Ireland Engineering adjustable roll bars front and rear
- Tii front struts converted by Nitron Racing to their R1 racing suspension set-up, rear Nitron shocks and springs to match. Divorced set-up with adjustable spring perch at the rear.
- JFI Roll Centre adjusters
- Wilwood 2-piece 300mm front brake kit with billet aluminium hubs
- Wilwood 2-piece 270mm vented rear disc conversion
- E9 master cylinder, servos deleted, new kunifer lines, tilton bias lever to rear and braided flexi’s to calipers. Full compliment of Atec Fluid Solutions fittings.
- Custom offset Minilite wheels c/w r888r tyres
- New steering idler arm and custom girdle plate following a failure summer 2019!
- Refurbished steering box and idler arm
- Refurbished coupling and new steering column bearing
- Weichers Sport front strut brace
Fuelling and electrics (All 2017/18):
- Refurbished carb fuel tank, modified for a fuel return line, painted black enamel.
- New filler neck boot and lockable cap
- Facet lift pump
- Webcon swirl pot c/w integrated high pressure fuel pump
- DTA S60pro ECU and custom motorsport spec engine/ fuelling loom
- Odyssey PC680 lightweight battery C/W aluminium holder, relocated to boot
- Leather trimmed dash
- Leather trimmed centre console
- Leather trimmed door cards front and back
- Etsy rear seat delete
- Cobra RSR bucket seats on custom dropped subframes
- BMW Motorsport Works Italvolanti steering wheel
- Kooglewerks center console plate and cupholders
- Analogue combined oil pressure and oil temp gauge, water temp gauge and battery voltage in the Kooglewerks console
- AEM AFR Gauge located where the Tii clock should be via a custom made adapter
- Safety Devices rear cage with diagonal cross bar and harness bar added, front hoop tabs deleted
- Schroth 4 point harnesses
- Ireland Engineering accelerator pedal
There will be no doubt things I’ve missed, not many stones left unturned on this one. I’ve since covered around 4000 miles, mostly in the North Pennines ad it’s been great so far, here’s to many more miles!
Project blog thread; http://www.02forum.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12072